Doug Isenberg was interviewed extensively for an article in GeniiOnline, "Six Things Every Magician Should Know About U.S. Copyright Law."
GeniiOnline is the online version of Genii magazine, which was founded in 1936 and is one of the leading magazines for professional and amateur magicians.
The author of the article interviewed Doug in detail about the following topics:
- Copyright law doesn’t protect ideas, but rather expressions of that idea.
- It’s hard to talk about hypothetical situations, because each case is determined by the specific facts presented.
- Someone also needs “access” to the original work to be considered in violation of copyright.
- Fighting copyright claims is very expensive, often providing little return for your trouble.
- There are steps you can take to protect yourself that are cheap (or even free!).
- Copyright is not meant to protect your work before it’s stolen.